Big Bird Day is a yearly birdwatching event celebrated all over the Indian subcontinent in conjunction with Delhi Bird Club. This year it is to be held on 24th of February (next Sunday), and is the biggest BBD. So far we have
● Around 230 enlisted teams / individuals so far from all over the subcontinent and even some from abroad
● More than 1100 participants
● 50 teams (covering around 40 sites) from West Bengal alone
First started formally by Delhibird group in 2004, BBD has slowly culminated in a large scale citizen science project aimed at gathering data about birds from all over the region. Birders form small teams, watch birds in certain areas and report the sightings at the end of the day so that it can be
compiled into a cumulative list. There are participants from such far flung places as Akhnoor in Kashmir, Annapurna Conservation Area in Nepal, Khonoma in Nagaland, Chittagong Hill Tracts and Bangladesh Sundarbans, and Sinharaja in Sri Lanka. Of course, large number of teams are participating from each urban center of the country. Non-commercial, non-competitive, apolitical and driven only by passion for nature and conservation, it is perhaps the largest event of its kind.
With more areas being covered, the data is becoming more comprehensive and valuable in terms of measuring the actual bird diversity of the region. Accumulated over several seasons / years, it can form a rich database. An event like this is also essential in creating awareness about bird watching and conservation.
The registrations are open and anyone can take part. One needs to register with the coordinators and bird at one or multiple sites (preferably ones that are not being covered yet) throughout the day or for a shorter time on 24th Feb. By 6.00 p.m an email / sms needs to be sent to the coordinators stating the number of species. The complete list has to be sent in another couple of days.
National Level Coordinator : Bikram Grewal (09811159398, firstname.lastname@example.org)
Coordinator for West Bengal: Kshounish Shankar Ray (09433185730, email@example.com)
Facebook page with more information about the event :
- New advance Rail ticket booking period reduced to 2 months from today
- Amarnath registration to start on March 18th
- Big Bird Day 2013
- Tour core tiger areas but don’t build: Supreme Court
- Interim ban on tourist activities in core areas of Project Tiger forests
- Tadoba on Red Alert
- The forgotten Silk Route – Jelep La
- National Park Status for Jaldapara
- Bouddha Bihar discovered at Dantan
- Melanistic Leopard Cat