The recurrent shutdowns and protests by GJM activists has resulted in rapid reduction in the number of tourists this year in Darjeeling. Many of the holiday home operators called us asking for removal of their enlisted holiday homes from our Darjeeling page, there might be more as not all of the operators inform their data regularly. It is needless to mention that the reason is off course GJM’s over activity at the area. People haven’t forgotten what happened thereat during last season, most of the tourist at that time were strangled and forced out of Darjeeling by GJM activists.But, it appears that this has come as a welcome turnout to Duars as many have picked Dooars and Tarai region as the area is less affected. Puri has off course taken a wide bite out of Darjeeling destined tourists, but Dooars is doing quite well this Puja holidays. Gorumara, Jaldapara, Duarsini, Jayanti – all the Govt. accommodations are well in demand.
Lets hope our favourite beautiful hill queen returns to tourists list next season.
- New advance Rail ticket booking period reduced to 2 months from today
- Amarnath registration to start on March 18th
- Big Bird Day 2013
- Tour core tiger areas but don’t build: Supreme Court
- Interim ban on tourist activities in core areas of Project Tiger forests
- Tadoba on Red Alert
- The forgotten Silk Route – Jelep La
- National Park Status for Jaldapara
- Bouddha Bihar discovered at Dantan
- Melanistic Leopard Cat