1. Arunachal Pradesh– Getting there – By Air – The nearest airport is Lilabari airport in Assam. From there regular bus services operate to Itanagar which is 60 kms.
Helicopter services are also available from Guwahati, Dibrugarh and Itanagar to Tawang, Ziro, Along, Daporijo, Pasighat, Roing, Anni, Tezu and Khonsa.
Rail – The nearest rail stations to Itanagar are Harmuty, Assam [33 kms] and North Lakhimpur, Assam [60 kms]. Both are connected to Guwahati by the Arunachal Express and onward buses can be found to Itanagar.
Road – Itanagar is 429 kms from Guwahati, traveling on MH 52. Direct buses are available along this route, and from Shillong [482 kms], Tezpur, Jorhat, Dibrugarh, Tinsukhia and Nogaon.
2. Nagaland – Getting there – By Air – Flights arrive daily in Dimapur from Kolkata and Delhi. There are also connections to Guwahati.
Rail – Daily trains from Kolkata, Delhi, and other major cities. The Rajdhani Express and Brahmaputra mail run daily from Delhi to Dimapur via Guwahati.
Road – National Highways No. 36 and 39 connect Dimapur to Guwahati. All towns within the state are connected by Nagaland State Transport Services.
3. Tripura – Getting there – By Air – Agartala airport is connected by flights from Kolkata, Guwahati and Silchar.
Rail – The nearest station is Manughat [120 km from Agartala]. The Brahmaputra Mail, Kamrup Express, Barak Valley Express and Cachar Express run to Lumding, Assam. Passenger trains to Manughat then take 10 hours.
Road – Bus services are available from Guwahati, 597 km away, and Shillong, 497 km away.
4. Mizoram – Getting there – By Air – Lengpui, Aizawal is connected by air with Kolkata, the other option is to fly to Silchar from Kolkata and then go by road to Aizwal. This road journey takes about 5-6 hous/ or longer to cover 184 km.
Rail – Silchar is the railhead.
Road – Bus service are available from Guwahati to Shillong. The Barak Valley Express travels from Guwahati.
NH 54 connects Aizawl with Silchar. It is also accessible from Shillong and Guwahati.
5. Manipur – Getting there – Air – Flights from Delhi, KOlkata, Guwahati, Aizawl, Jorhat and Silchar land to Imphal airport which is 7 kms from the town.
Rail – The nearest station is Dimapur, Nagaland, on the North-East Frontier Railway. Regular bus services make the journey to Imphal [215 km]. Jiribam station on the Manipur-Assam border is 225 km from Imphal.
Road – Well-connected by road with the cities of the North-East states.
Silchar, Assam [NH 53]
Dimapur, Nagaland [NH 39]
Guwahati, Assam [NH 39]
6. Meghalaya – Getting there – Air – The nearest airport is Guwahati. From there a helicopter service operates to Shillong.
Rail – The nearest station is Guwahati. From there bus services leave for Shillong which is 103 kms away.
Road – NH 40 connects Guwahati to Shillong.
7. Assam – Getting there – Air – Guwahati airport has daily flights to Delhi, Kolkata and Mumbai. There are also plane or helicopter connections to towns in the North-East.
Rail – Guwahati has daily connections to Delhi and Kolkata. The fastest are the Rajdhani Express, Kanchenjunga Express, Kamrup Express and Saraighat Express.
8. Sikkim – Getting there –Siliguri is the start point and is reached by train, bus and air. Siliguri to Gangtok is by road or by the helicopter services available at Bagdogra Airport in Siliguri.
- New advance Rail ticket booking period reduced to 2 months from today
- Amarnath registration to start on March 18th
- Big Bird Day 2013
- Tour core tiger areas but don’t build: Supreme Court
- Interim ban on tourist activities in core areas of Project Tiger forests
- Tadoba on Red Alert
- The forgotten Silk Route – Jelep La
- National Park Status for Jaldapara
- Bouddha Bihar discovered at Dantan
- Melanistic Leopard Cat